American Rescue Plan
The American Rescue Plan Act 2021 was signed into law by President Biden on March 11, 2021. This act provides U.S. cities and counties with $130.2 billion through December 31, 2024. The Town of Carrboro will receive $6.75 million as part of this allocation. These funds will be used to help offset revenue losses resulting from the pandemic, as well as fund other community needs.
Town of Carrboro Engagement Activities to consider ARPA Funding Priorities has included the following. Due to the spread of the COVID-19 omicron variant, in-person engagement options were limited at this time.
• Interviews of 40+ nonprofit/human service agencies (July – August 2021)
• Town Online Survey available in English, Spanish and Burmese (November 2021 – March 2022)
• Paper surveys at Century Center, Town Hall and Farmer’s Market (November 2021 – March 2022)
• ETC Institute scientifically valid survey with respondents sought out by postal mail, email and text (December 2021 - January 2022)
• Survey of Carrboro’s Qualified Census Tract (January – February 2022)
• Carrboro Conversations, three sessions of in-person conversations held Feb. 23-24, 2022 (80+ participants)
• BIPOC Business Roundtables to hear the needs and challenges of Black, Indigenous, Latinx and People of Color businesses in Carrboro, and the role the Town can play to help businesses start and grow. The Town has held six roundtables between July 2020 to May 2022.
• Social Media – More than 1,000 touchpoints of engagement over Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn
• Email shares of News Flash to community partners including Affordable Housing Coalition, Refugee Community Partnership, IFC, El Centro, Habitat for Humanity, Faith Leaders and Churches
More than 950 participants have engaged on community priority questions and provided more than 265 comments.
- Support public health expenditures
(fund personal protective equipment, behavioral healthcare, and certain public health and safety staff)
- Address negative economic impacts
(provide aid for workers, nonprofits, households, small businesses, affected industries and public sector)
- Provide premium pay for essential workers of the Town of Carrboro
- Services to disproportionately impacted communities
(fund education assistance, child care, affordable housing, services for unhoused persons, lead remediation)
- Invest in infrastructure
(water, stormwater, energy conservation, sewer, and broadband)
@(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Adopted Policies for Expenditure of ARPA Funds (11/21/22)
- Carrboro residents to benefit from major investments approved by Town Council (10/18/2022)
- Final Grant Project Ordinance (10/11/2022)
- Adoption of Policies for the Expenditure of American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds (10/11/2022)
- Adoption of Grant Project Ordinance for Expenditure of ARP/CSLFRF Funds (10/11/2022)
- Carrboro considers plan for use of American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) funds (10/6/2022)
- Review of Policies for the Expenditure of American Rescue Plan Act of 2021, Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds (9/20/2022)
- Grant Project Ordinance for Expenditure of ARP/CSLFRF Funds (9/20/2022)
- American Rescue Plan Act Framework (5/24/22)
- ARPA Comments and Feedback from Surveys
- Presentation of Community Engagement Efforts (4/12/2022)
- ETC Community Survey Results
- Framework for Development of the Use and Spending of ARPA Funds (12/19/2021)
- Carrboro To Survey Residents about Town Services (12/3/2021)
- Seeking Input on American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) Funding (11/22/2021)
- Framework for Development of the Use and Spending of ARPA Funds (10/19/2021)
- Status Report on American Rescue Plan Act (9/14/2021)
- Status Report on American Rescue Plan Act Funding (9/7/2021)
- Short-term American Rescue Plan Act Funding Plan Authorization (6/22/2021)
- Orange County Recovery and Transformation Plan Update (6/15/2021)
- American Rescue Plan Act - Eligible Programs and Expenditures (5/27/2021)
- American Rescue Plan Act Project Ordinance (5/4/2021)
- Orange County Recovery and Transformation Plan (4/28/2021)
- One-time Pandemic Response Payment to Essential Town of Carrboro Employees (4/7/2021) @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
For an overview of the Coronavirus State and Local Fiscal Recovery Funds program including expanded use of eligible uses, see the U.S. Department of the Treasury website.
This page will be updated regularly.